1. Joe Straus agrees with Barack Obama: “we can’t cut your way to prosperity”.
3. Straus voted for a payroll tax that would have increased the overall tax burden on 80% of Texans before becoming Speaker of the House. (HB 3, RV 119, 79th Legislature)
4. Joe Straus voted to levy a “granny tax” on nursing home residents (HB 3778, RV 1048, 80th Legislature)
5. Straus’ family is set to make millions when gambling is legalized in Texas.
6. Straus punishes conservatives. A pro-Straus Republican is on record admitting so.
7. Straus headlined a fundraiser for liberal Democrat Patrick Rose … who ran against conservative Republican Jason Isaac.
9. As the New York Times put it, “Centrist” Joe Straus rose to power during the “Democratic Wave that swept President Obama into office.”
11. Liberal Democrats in the Texas House “can’t think of a better person to lead us…”
12. Texas had a near super-majority of Republicans in both houses, but still couldn’t get spending caps passed under Straus’ leadership.