Seven current and former administrators in City View ISD have been arrested for failing to report alleged sexual misconduct against students as required by law.
The Wichita Falls Police Department says the arrests are part of an investigation focusing on “the persistent failures to report sexual misconduct by administrators at City View ISD of multiple incidents over an eight-year span.”
At the center of the scandal are allegations of sexual misconduct by Bobby Morris, a basketball coach at City View High School. Those allegations first emerged on June 23, 2022. Four days later, Morris committed suicide.
Police say their investigation found that four separate incidents of alleged sexual misconduct between Morris and female students took place since 2014. While City View ISD officials conducted internal investigations, they did not report the allegations to law enforcement.
Failure by the administration to report alleged abuse by a school employee is a state jail felony under the Texas Education Code.
In a statement, the City View ISD board of trustees said that the employees would be taking personal leave until at least the next school board meeting on Monday evening:
The Board takes these allegations and arrests very seriously. However, we also want our parents and staff members to know that these arrests were based on alleged offenses that occurred at least five years ago. At this point in time, the District is not aware of any facts that would support the allegations against these individuals. Further, we are not aware of any allegations of recent offenses by any of our employees.
The following administrators have been charged with failing to report child abuse:
- Anthony Bushong, current superintendent of City View ISD
- Carrie Allen, current assistant superintendent of City View ISD
- Daryl Frazier, former principal of City View Jr/Sr High School
- Rudy Hawkins, current athletic director at City View Jr/Sr High School
- Cindy Leaverton, current counselor at City View Jr/Sr High School
- Raymond Weathersbee, former principal of City View Jr/Sr High School
- Steve Harris, former superintendent of City View ISD