Candidate Filing Period Begins
- Saturday kicked off the candidate filing period for candidates hoping to seek election in 2022.
- The filing period will last until Monday, December 13, 2021.
- Unofficial list of currently announced/filed candidates for U.S. Congress, statewide office, and the Texas Legislature.
Guillen Switches Party Affiliation
- Monday, State Rep. Ryan Guillen (D–Rio Grande City) announced he will be switching party affiliations from Democrat to Republican, making him the 85th Republican in the Texas House of Representatives.
- Guillen was first elected in 2002 and has recently voted as one of the most conservative lawmakers among his now-former Democrat colleagues.
- He recently voted in favor of the Texas Heartbeat Act and constitutional carry in the 87th regular legislative session earlier this year.
- It is likely, however, that this move is more about personal preservation than personal politics. The new district boundaries for Guillen’s district are much more favorable to a would-be Republican candidate.
List Grows for Non-Returning Lawmakers
- Currently, 23 lawmakers have announced they will not be seeking re-election to their current positions.
- 19 from Texas House of Representatives
- 4 from Texas Senate
- Republican State Rep. John Cyrier (Lockhart) announced last week he would not seek re-election to Texas House District 17. He was first elected in 2015.
- Republican Congressman Louie Gohmert announced he was “exploring” a run for Texas attorney general. If so, reports have indicated that Republican State Rep. Matt Schaefer (Tyler) will likely run, opening up yet another House seat.