There are 25 days left in the legislative special session.
Special Session: (REFERENCE: Special Session Bill Statuses)
- Analysis of special session agenda with Texas Scorecard Managing Editor Brandon Waltens
- Legislature prioritized bills relating to Article X (10) Funding
- Both House and Senate committees have heard bills relating to bail reform, election integrity, and a “13th check” for beneficiaries of the Teacher Retirement System of Texas.
- This week, the Senate State Affairs Committee is scheduled to take up bills relating to social media censorship and protecting girls in youth sports.
- Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller submitted a letter to Gov. Abbott, imploring him to add banning gender modification surgeries to the special session agenda, among other issues. The Texas Freedom Caucus similarly requested such a thing a week earlier.
New Republican Party of Texas Chairman
- The State Republican Executive Committee (SREC) met on Sunday, July 11, to elect a new chairman of the Republican Party of Texas.
- There were four nominated candidates.
- Ultimately, former State Rep. Matt Rinaldi won with a total of 34 votes in the first round. He needed 33 votes to win.
- Rinaldi will finish out the remainder of now-former RPT Chairman Allen West’s term through 2022.