Marking his 100th day as Texas’ Comptroller of Public Accounts, Glenn Hegar announced his “Taxpayer Bill of Rights.”
In a press release, Hegar noted that he “promised excellence in customer service from my office. With that in mind, I’ve published the Texas Taxpayer Bill of Rights which outlines my ongoing commitment to better serving our customers, the taxpayers of this great state.”
His statement of “rights” for Texas’ taxpayers include:
- You have the RIGHT to Fair and Equitable Treatment.
- You have the RIGHT to Privacy and Confidentiality.
- You have the RIGHT to Understand the Taxes You Pay.
- You have the RIGHT to Pay Only What You Owe.
- You have the RIGHT to Representation.
- You have the RIGHT to Contest a Decision.
- You have the RIGHT to Request a Waiver of Penalties.
- You have the RIGHT to Simpler Tax Filing.
- You have the RIGHT to Courteous, Accessible Assistance from a Real Person.
- You have the RIGHT to Know How Government Spends Your Tax Dollars.
We were pleased to endorse Hegar in the 2014 primary and general elections.
Between this taxpayer-focused statement of service to his efforts to repeal inefficient taxes, Hegar is doing exactly what we knew he would.