With Gov. Greg Abbott expected to call lawmakers back soon for a special session on school choice and education, one House member is asking him to expand the call to address priorities left unfinished during the regular session earlier this year.
“Governor Abbott is right to call the legislature back for school choice, but that is not enough. I am asking he also demand action on other urgent items including border security, medical freedom, ’emergency power’ reform, and banning Communist governments from purchasing Texas land,” said Harrison. “Now is not the time for comfortable timidity. With the next generation literally on the line, Texas must lead, and lead now.”
To that end, Harrison is calling on Abbott to add the following issues to a special session call:
1. Secure the border by passing legislation similar to HB 20
2. Protect medical freedom by banning all COVID-19 vaccine mandates and ending deference to CDC
3. Rein in executive “emergency powers” so a future Governor cannot abuse them
4. Prohibit hostile and Communist governments from purchasing Texas land
5. Protect our grid from attacks and reform our energy market by setting reliability standards
6. Ban all tax-payer funded lobbying
7. Eliminate job-crushing regulations by sunsetting any that are not reviewed every 4 years
8. Reform the constitutional provisions on impeachment as proposed by Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick
9. End destructive ESG policies by statutorily defining fiduciary duty
10. Protect Texas women and girls and define “woman” in statute to thwart Biden’s abusive policies
11.Establish a path to eliminate property taxes by requiring future surpluses be used to lower rates
The special session is widely expected to begin in October.