The Republican primary runoff election is Tuesday, May 24, and grassroots organization True Texas Project has made recommendations in races around the state.
In the attorney general race, True Texas Project is solidly in favor of incumbent Ken Paxton over challenger George P. Bush, the current Texas land commissioner, stating, “Obviously there is no way we’re going to support any Bush, so Paxton is hands down our pick.” Texas Scorecard interviewed Paxton earlier this month. Bush declined to participate.
Incumbent Railroad Commissioner Wayne Christian was forced into a runoff by oil and gas attorney Sarah Stogner, who made a name for herself with a mostly nude publicity stunt atop an oil jack pump. True Texas Project recommends Christian, stating, “It is an embarrassment to the state of Texas that she made it to the runoff, especially against a man as outstanding as Wayne Christian.” Wayne Christian participated in an interview with Texas Scorecard earlier this month. Stogner declined to participate.
Since current Land Commissioner Bush is running for the office of attorney general, the land commissioner race originally included eight candidates. Now, State Sen. Dawn Buckingham (R–Lakeway) and Dr. Tim Westley are facing off in the runoff election. Buckingham is the candidate favored by True Texas Project. Interviews Texas Scorecard conducted with both candidates can be viewed here.
In the state Legislature races, True Texas Project has recommended the following candidates:
- Raul Reyes, Senate District 24
- Ben Bius, House District 12
- Ellen Troxclair, House District 19
- Terri Leo-Wilson, House District 23
- Patrick McGuinness, House District 52
- Mike Olcott, House District 60
- Paul Chabot, House District 61
- Jeff Younger, House District 63
- Eric Bowlin, House District 70
- Carrie Isaac, House District 73
- David Glasheen, House District 84
- David Lowe, House District 91
- Nate Schatzline, House District 93
- Mark Dorazio, House District 122
True Texas Project also made recommendations in local races throughout the state.
The Republican primary runoff election is Tuesday, May 24. Polling locations can be found here.